Monday, January 3, 2011

Court-side Annoyance

As a rabid sports fan, I know I share this same feeling with many other fans. And that feeling is, the hatred for the obnoxious "fans" who sit in the front row, and act like they "care" about the outcome. As a former leader of my high schools student section, I am appalled when I see these guys yelling at the refs and players. Look man the only reason why you act so excited is because 1. You know you are probably getting on T.V. and 2. You invested so much money to reserve these seats, you don't want to feel like you waste your money.

I'll tell you who the real fans are. They are the ones who are sitting in section 340, continuously bleeding from their nose, behind a pole, shoes sticking to the concrete floor, and paid 40 bucks for nachos, a hotdog, and a beer. Even with all these setbacks, they are still cheering louder, and believe they can be heard. My first experience of this was, sad to say, at the good ol' Veteran Stadium (for new Phillies fans, which is many, is their old stadium) in "sunny" Philadelphia, where I sat in that very section. Surrounded by drunk, loud, REAL fans, is where I began to appreciate the suffering fans go through. I am happy to say the Phillies lost, but while the people behind the plate left, my section (all ten fans) stayed in the same section until the game was over.

Now that is not to complement Philly fans, because I do have a strong dislike for them, but they are an example of real fans. But back to the rich fans, you see them the most on the basketball court. After every foul, big play, or turning point they jump up out of no where and get in the face of the players and refs, which is completely unnecessary. Set a good example for either your kids, or the kids around you watching you act like a fool. Now I understand as a student that we are no saints, we do curse, we do yell at the refs, and players, but we do it because this is our life, we live and die by how our beloved team does. Money is no factor in our cheering.

Yes, this is a shout out to those celebrities like (even though I love him) Spike Lee, and Jack Nickelson. Look you guys are famous enough as it is, you don't need to make more of spectacle of yourselves by acting like children to get the camera's on you. They will be anyway because you're famous. The games focus should be on the players, not you, learn to get that and people wouldn't find you so hard to like when they see you.

Here's to all of you real fans sitting in that section 340, keep yelling, because you're doing it for the love of the game, not for the love of your wallet!

1 comment: