Saturday, February 12, 2011

Why not soccer?


America, I have one question to ask, and that is, why not soccer? I was skeptical at first, but since I started watching I have grown to love it. One of the huge reasons why I started to love it was the fact there is only commercials at the major breaks in the game:  Half time, and end of the game. Because I know when I watch the NFL or any sport here in the U.S. there are, TOO MANY COMMERCIALS! If a ball goes out of bounds, here comes the red hat. Everyone is ready and waiting, but the red hat is still out there, being a pain in the, you know what! I don’t think I am alone when I say that sometimes the commercials are way too much, why would I want constant interruption while I’m trying to watch a game, I don’t!
            With the future for the 2011-2012 NFL season looking grim, it looks like America may need something to fill in their Sunday afternoons, of drinking and eating with another sport. “ ‘Ello ‘ol chap; want to kick the ball around the pitch? That’s right people I’m talking about the “evil” game of soccer! Put the good, English premier ship matches on in the morning/afternoon, and then later put the Serie A league on at night or even on ESPN2. People maybe skeptical at first, like I was when finding new sports to watch, but I feel that people will soon have less of a hatred for soccer.
            It will probably be hard for companies to give in to the fact that they can’t get their product/company as much air time as they want. But it will in turn save them money on time slots, because you only get half time (which is 15 minutes) to pick a spot. So really it comes down to, how willing these companies are to give up the moneymaking spots that they had. In the end, I feel that they will ultimately find a benefit to the new commercial time system.
            What I think will draw people to the game other than the no commercials, is the passion of the fans. They cheer, they sing, they curse, and they even get drunker than us Americans! With so many things they have in common with American sports fans, they will soon find common ground with one another. If you’re looking for more evidence of our similarities I suggest the public watches the movie Green Street Hooligans, a great movie that follows the West Ham United soccer teams “firm” or cheering section. Now this movie does get a little Hollywood, but it shows the passion the fans have for their teams, that they will fight for their team. Again, great movie, if you don’t believe watch it, you’ll love every minute.
            In a final word, if this were to happen, I just asked/beg ESPN to be the first to jump at this opportunity. If not, the rights to these games could be sold to the dreaded Fox network. As I’m sure we all know, Fox is not the best at picking their on-air talent, i.e. Joe Buck, Tim McCarver (my dad’s favorite). This could lead to disastrous things for soccer in America, just like it almost ruined bowl season for me, having to listen to Joe Buck in the BCS bowl games. Again this is all hypothetical, but please ESPN, do your part and keep soccer growing in America.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment